Indianapolis Colts cornerback Charvarius Ward considered retirement after a season in which multiple concussions had him pondering his future.
However, this 30-year-old player did not want his career to end like that.
“I feel good,” Ward said Wednesday via the team’s official website. “I’ve just been working on myself, and I didn’t want to finish my career the way I finished last season. A lot of things happened that were out of my control. Emotionally, I wasn’t ready like I thought I was going to be. So getting my family out here this season, they’re closer to me. It’s going to help me a lot, being healthy and happy.”
In his first season in Indy, the veteran cornerback played in just seven games. Concussion concerns were just part of the equation. Ward admitted the pain of losing his 23-month-old daughter, Amani Joy, in 2024 to heart problems played a part in why he considered retirement.
“Last year I had the motivation, but it was like I was trying to fake it because I was sad at the same time,” Ward said. “Now I’m happy and I’m grinding and I’m feeling much better physically.”