Heading into the offseason, the health of Malik Naber and Cam Skattebo was a key issue to track for the New York Giants. We recently received some alarming news about Naber’s condition. Now we have an update on Skattebo. This one sounds better.
Speaking at the Giants Town Hall on Monday night, Skattebo said he is not ready to take the field yet, but plans to be before Week 1 against the Dallas Cowboys.
“Obviously there are ups and downs in the injury process and coming back and rehabbing, but the mental battle has been the hardest part: making sure I fully trust her,” Skattebo said, via the Associated Press. “I’m kind of on the road. Not too far, but I’ll be ready to go. Week 1, I’ll be ready to go.”
The fourth-round pick out of Arizona State got off to a slow start to his rookie season, but took over the top duties in Week 4 and became a force behind Jaxson Dart. Skattebo’s physicality and willingness to play with ferocity led to a wonderful Giants offense. From Weeks 4-7, he had 90-plus scrimmage yards per contest, including two games with 79-plus rush yards.
A brutal foot injury in Week 8 wiped out the rest of a promising season and has kept the running back in rehab at the start of offseason work. Entering his second season, Skattebo played down his first campaign and offered high expectations for his second.
“I don’t think it’s a success for me,” Skattebo said. “I had 400 yards on 100 carries. When I play 17-plus games this year, that’s going to be 300 returns for over 2,000 yards.”
Before he reaches the 1,000-yard mark — let alone the famed 2,000 — he needs to get healthy and start the new offense. Coach John Harbaugh suggested earlier this season that it was possible that Skattebo could do some light workouts later this season, but the hope was that he would be full at some point in training camp.
Skattebo’s plan to be ready for Week 1 suggests that the schedule remains on track.